March 6, 2009

Interview with Moonflower Jewelry



Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a relocated New Mexican living in Southern California. Except for one of the cats, I am the only female with one husband, two sons and three cats total. I have a tendency to be painfully shy, which sometimes makes selling my work rather difficult.



Where did you learn to craft? Where did the idea come from?
I went to art school in my early 20's, and majored in Film/video/performance - I started working in collage/assemblage because San Francisco was a treasure trove of street scores and thrift stores, and I got hooked on working with found objects. But... then I discovered my one true love, sterling silver... although I still have a respectable stash of effluvia for just in case.












How did you start selling?
I began selling at my local farmers market over 5 years ago. It's a weekly gig, and I still do it, although the economy has affected sales. I started selling primarily so I could buy more tools and supplies. I don't sell on ebay any longer, and my only online venue is etsy.

What are your goals?
My goal is to get better at the cabbing, as I have invested quite a bit of money in rough rock. I am not so much inspired as I just love playing with my materials and acquiring more to play with.

If there is a new craft you could learn, what would it be and why?
Aside from cabbing, I'm not too interesting in picking anything else up right now. I get too scattered. I've gone through a papermaking phase, a book making phase, a soap making phase and also a knitting phase. Like I said, I have a prodigious amount of unusual supplies in my hoard from all these things.

…Your inspiration & motivation?
I never can think of what inspires or motivates me. My work has always been a reflection of my person: quirky, rough around the edges, non representational. I like texture and shape and color as a way of getting out of my very verbal and critical head.

Several years ago I made a series of assemblage boxes and gave them to a few friends. I love working silver, but the boxes were an important artistic expression rather than jewelry which is more a craft to me.

I've been a stay at home mom for 15 years, and I am actually looking for a "real" job because the pressure of making a living selling jewelry has squeezed some of the fun out of it.

What is the best advice you have ever received?
"Honor your mistakes as hidden intent."

If you won a thousand dollar craft shopping spree, what would you spend it on?
One good trip to a gem show, give me an hour and that money would be gone so fast on beads and cabs. Except $1k doesn't go far since spot silver went over $10 per troy ounce.



Favorite links:

THE BEST CHOCOLATE on planet Earth is: Guanni Chocolates
My favorite soapers are Kreamy Soaps

Visit Moonflower Jewelry at: Moonflower Jewelry

No comments: